Born in London in 1937, Tim Scott trained as an architect from 1954 to 1959, while at the same time studying sculpture part-time at St Martin's School of Art. It was while working at an architectural practise in Paris, from 1959 to 1961, that Scott saw photographs of the work of the American sculptor, David Smith, whose radical abstract approach and rejection of established techniques and materials inspired a generation of British sculptors in the sixties. Returning to London in 1961 to teach sculpture at St Martin's, Scott began to experiment with unconventional materials such as fibreglass, acrylic sheet, glass and metal to assemble bold, volumetric forms with bright colour.
In the early 1970s he went on to create the Counterpoint series, combining thick slabs of transparent acrylic with heavy steel bars. However he soon became frustrated by the fragility of plastics and, in 1970-1, created his first sculptures constructed entirely from steel. His huge and extraordinarily inventive outdoor sculpture, Cathedral (1971-2), was inspired by a visit to Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire, and was first exhibited in London's Battersea Park in 1977. The making of this monumental work introduced Scott to the methods of forging steel, which would dominate his sculptural technique after he abandoned plastic completely in the mid 1970s.
In recent years Scott has shown widely in the USA and Europe, particularly in Germany, where he lived and taught in the 80s and 90s. His work is in numerous public collections, including Tate, London and the Museum of Modern Art, New York. In 2008 his work was included in a group show 'New Generation Revisited' at the New Art Centre, Salisbury.