Ian Stephenson was born in 1934 in Co Durham. He trained at King's College, University of Durham, and taught there with Victor Pasmore and Richard Hamilton. The New Art Centre gave Ian Stephenson his first solo show in London in 1962 and continued to exhibit him throughout the '60s. He had a one-man exhibition at the Hayward Gallery (1977) and his work is in the collections of the Tate, the Arts Council, the Whitworth Art Gallery and the British Council, amongst many others. He died in 2000.
Stephenson's work was selected by Antonioni to be included in his seminal film Blow-Up , of 1966, after he had recognised during a studio visit the effects of changing focus and scale. Most recently Stephenson's work has been exhibited at the De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhiil on Sea and the Baltic, Gateshead in 2006.
The New Art Centre represents the Estate of Ian Stephenson. A New Art Centre publication on Stephenson which includes essays by Sean Scully and Clive Phillpot is available.