David Annesley was born in London in 1936. After two years of National Service as an RAF pilot from 1956 to 1958, he studied under Anthony Caro in the sculpture department at St Martin's School of Art from 1958 to 1962, achieving early success when his work was selected for the Young Contemporaries exhibitions in 1961 and 1962. He went on to hold successive teaching posts at Croydon School of Art, the Central School of Art and Design and St Martin's throughout the 1960s, and exhibited widely, having his first solo exhibition at the Waddington Galleries in 1966.
Annesley began his studies at St. Martin's as a painter, but found the teaching in the sculpture department more exciting. His painterly concerns are reflected in the welded sheet metal sculptures he began to make in the early 1960s, in which simple compositions of geometrical shapes are used as a vehicle for exploring colour relationships. In the works in this exhibition, dating from 1966-68, brightly coloured paint is used to delineate the different elements of the sculpture, giving it a sense of movement, dynamism and weightlessness which defies the heavy steel construction.
David Annesley's sculpture is in many public collections, including Tate, London; the Arts Council Collection; and the Museum of Modern Art, New York. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors in 1995.